Sunday 14 September 2008

A Warm Spring Night.....


...and this plump Sparassid was on my downpipe, tucking into a quick snack!

I think it's Isopedella flavida with a definite glint in an eye! This species is large and they are known to utilize walls. I suspect this one is bedded down under some flashing on the south side of the house.

It allowed a couple of shots then nicked off to finish its prey in peace!

This is a large file so those on Dial-Up - be warned!

(click to enlarge)
Correction: Species is probably Isopeda leishmanni



4 comments:

Mosura said...

Great catch! For him and you :-)

Denis Wilson said...

Nice shot.
Can you work out what the "lunch" was - perhaps from the jointed antennae? I was wondering about a cricket, but the Tree Crickets I get here have very long, smooth antennae.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Mosura and Denis.

Denis, too early for crickets here. It could possibly be an Earwig.

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
Excellent suggestion.
I searched "Tree of Life" for Earwig and yes, they have segmented antennae, just like the bit protruding from under the spider.
Denis