Thursday 18 September 2008

The Salticids Are Active!

I must confess, Salticids make it to No. 1 of my Favourite Spider list!

I spotted this one when I was watering some pot plants this afternoon.

Just over 1cm in length, I think it's Breda sp. Probably Breda jovialis.

B.jovialis is known as the "Australian Jumping Spider" and a very colourful spider it is. This spider is very active in the palp department, waving and shimmying palps every which way!

Don't you just love 'em? :-)

(Click image to enlarge)

5 comments:

Mosura said...

Nice one! I have a photo of one of those biting a huntsman on the backside. I'll post it in the near future.

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
I have seen such guys, but never knew their name.
hanks
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Mosura and Denis.

Looking forward to seeing your photo, Mosura. That'd be a classic! :-)

Gouldiae said...

G'day JL,
Great shot. Don't think I've seen one before. Must keep my eyes open some more.
Gouldiae

Junior Lepid said...

Morning Gouldiae,

I think Duncan has a photo of one in one of his albums.

They are pretty cute! But then so are most Salts. :-)