Saturday 6 September 2008

Lychas Anyone?

Family: Buthidae

Although there is some similarity between the Marbled Scorpion (Lychas variatus) and Lychas marmoreus, the Little Marbled Scorpion, I think this one is the latter.

Oh heck, it could be the former as L variatus is known in Western Victoria! :-)

(Click images to enlarge)


Total body length of this one was about 3cm (typical size of L marmoreus) and a prong is evident at the base of the stinger (telson). Both species have this.



There are around nine known species of Scorpion in Victoria.

I was stung by one of these little tackers a couple of years ago! A real burning sensation, which was quickly extinguished by inserting afflicted digit in iced water.

2 comments:

Mosura said...

That's a nice looking one. I only get the Wood Scorpions here.
Here's a photo

Junior Lepid said...

Nice shot, Mosura. Apparently, C squama carries her kids around on her back for a while inside the burrow. The Wood Scorpion is supposed to be here. I will have to keep my eye out for it. So far, I've only seen the Marbled.