Thursday 27 November 2008

A Couple of Spiders

At last, the weather has begun to warm up again after a few cold week or so.

These two spiders are taking advantage of the porch light to do some easy hunting.

(Click to enlarge)


This little lady paid me a visit as I was sitting outside observing moth activity on Tuesday night.

She's very similar in colour and body shape to the Little Striped Wolf (Lycosa furcillata) but much larger. Around 2cm from head to tail so I suspect she is Lycosa sp. possibly godeffroyi, (Garden Wolf) which are widely distributed.



Another Huntsman. The little arrow on this shot is pointing to some staining on the jaw hairs. Probably gravy! :-)

Thanks to some outside expert assistance, I now have a fair idea as to the correct identity of this particular species I'm encountering frequently here.

Isopeda leishmanni

6 comments:

Duncan said...

Nice photos JL, I've got photos of a female wolf like yours with all her babies on her back.

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
Great shots. I liked the Wolf Spider with her babies.
Good point about the "gravy".
Cheers
Denis

Mosura said...

My eyes are not what they used to be. Are they babies on her back? (photo 1)

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Duncan, Denis and Mosura

Yes, Mosura, mother and kids.

I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the Wolf coming into the light. It's my first shot of a female with young and she was quite obliging!

Gouldiae said...

G'day JL,
Good work. She's got some load there. The Lepidoptera world is just so fascinating.
Regards,
Gouldiae

Junior Lepid said...

Sorry for the delay in publishing your comment, Gouldiae :-(

(Lep. world) It certainly is!! I'm still waiting for warm weather to catch up with the others on the mothing side!