Thursday 30 October 2008

October Mothing 3

Last night was reasonably active with conducive weather conditions - and I stayed up late! :-)

The majority of moths were small - around 1cm to 2cm in resting position. Some appearing here are duplications, but I will record the sightings anyway.

I have some homework to do (read 'assistance required') and will update as identifications are confirmed.

My little pal was back! This is a better photo of Wheeleria spilodactylus.
Pterophoridae.

(Click images to enlarge)


I'm not sure about Moth No. 2.
It might be a Gelechiid.
Ardozyga chionoprora is known to be in Western Victoria.

UPDATE: Philobota agnesella.

Oecophoridae : Oecophorinae



I suspect Moth No. 3 might be Idaea sp - possibly I. eretmopus.
Geometridae : Sterrhinae



Moth No. 4 I think may be a Crambid. This family has apparently been moved from the Pyralids!

Maybe Schoenobiinae sp?
Tipanaea patulella perhaps?
Crambidae : Schoenobiinae



I have no idea what Moth No. 5 is!
It was quite small. Less than a cm.

UPDATE No. 2: This is Monopis ethelella
TINEIDAE


Moth No. 6 has been photographed by others recently, I think.
I'll see if I can determine species.
This was the largest of the moths I saw last night.

It was on the ceiling in my laundry!

UPDATE: This moth is possibly Persectania sp.

Might be P. dyscrita (Inland Armyworm)

NOCTUIDAE : Hadeninae

UPDATE 2: Persectania ewingii.

Apparently on the wing of P ewingii there is a pale line in the shape of a dagger with a short "handle" across the centre

7 comments:

Mosura said...

A nice collection! I will have a closer look later on but I'm not sure if I can be of much help.

Mosura said...

I beleive your last one will be Persectania dyscrita

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Mosura,

I've had a few wild guesses! :-)

Duncan said...

Ah, you caught the plume beautifully JL, nice one.
The others are pretty good too. ;-)

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
I have seen similar looking white moths to your 4th image. They were said to be "rice moths" . I was told they were Pyralidae, Genus: Scirpophaga. I understand they may have been "revised". I was told they are "Commonly called Rice Stem Borers. These ones don't have aquatic larva but the adults lay an egg on the reed stem and the grub lives away inside the stem until ready to pupate. Common from SE Asia down the Aust. coast. Quite a lot of different species.

The ones I saw up close had white fibres protruding from their their tails (abdomen), but this was only visible with specimens in the hand. They were laying eggs on rushes growing in a dam.

Hope this helps, not confuses you. It is not my field, as you know. Just what I was told about my similar looking moths.
Cheers
Denis

Gouldiae said...

I can't get over that Wheeleria JL. A stunning shot of a marvelous insect.
Gouldiae

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Duncan, Denis and Gouldiae,

I really hope to find a native Plume Moth - but they are difficult to see. Well, with eyes like mine - they are! :-)

Denis, stem borer for sure, The one I named I believe uses Juncus as a host and I have plenty of that round the dam.