Wednesday 7 January 2009

January 2009 Mothing - 1

The year has got off to a good start mothing-wise, although there has been a bit of wind around. Quite a lot of new species and these are a few I have attempted to identify.


(Click images to enlarge)

No. 1 A Snout Moth - Paraguda rufescens
LASIOCAMPIDAE


No. 2 Agrotis radians
NOCTUIDAE : Noctuinae


No. 3 Cleora sp.
GEOMETRIDAE : Ennominae


No. 4 I think this is Proteuxoa tibiata
NOCTUIDAE : Acronictinae/Amphipyrinae


No. 5 Mythimna convecta (Common Armyworm)

NOCTUIDAE : Hadeninae


No. 6 Phrissogonus laticostata (Apple Looper)
This is a male, I believe, because of the furry shoulder pads!
GEOMETRIDAE : Larentiinae


No. 7 Probably Phelotis cognata - grey form
GEOMETRIDAE : Ennominae


No. 8 Donald Hobern photographed a moth very similar to this a day or so ago, so I will await his identification! :-)

UPDATE: (Thanks Donald!) This is possibly Compsotropha sp.
OECOPHORIDAE : Oecophorinae


No. 9 Anachloris subochraria
GEOMETRIDAE : Larentiinae

Identifications subject to correction, as usual! :-)

3 comments:

Duncan said...

A good start indeed JL, I've got to get back into it soon or I'll be drummed out of the regiment.

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
I admire your ability to put names to your moths. I have been inundated with lots of (mostly) tiny moths in the last few hot nights.
Very few IDs so far...

Lovely clear images, by the way.

Cheers

Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Duncan and Denis,

No drumming out, Duncan!! I know just how time-consuming mothing can be so I'm sure you are safe. :-)

Denis, this time last year, I didn't even know where to start with regard to identification! Once you have some idea which family the moth belongs to, it's not as daunting, particularly with excellent sites such as Duncan's, Donald's and Mosura's now on the Net. These sites help no end, so thanks, guys!

I still have a few that have me whacking my head on the desk! :-)